Dr. Thomas A. Harry is currently the Head, Department of Geology, Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) and Executive Director of Skillsoft Partnership Group (A training Organization). Prior to his current assignment, he worked for the Centre for Development and Population Activities (CEDPA), an international Interventionist based in the U.S.A. as Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist and served as National /State Consultant for the United Nations (UN) for 6 years driving many intervention projects in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Energy sector across sub-Saharan Africa. His career has traversed the Private sector (Stonecraft), International Public service (United Nations) and the Academia. He is an alumni of Juran six sigma quality institute, U.S.A and Lagos Business School (Pan-African University) - Senior management course.
Dr. Harry has presented in many international conferences and has published over 26 academic papers (www.researchgate.com/Thomas Akpan Harry) in local and major international Journals across many subjects including Oil and Gas (Petroleum) Technology, Biostratigraphy, Environmental Geochemistry, Petroleum Basin Evaluation and ICT.
He is a member of the American Association of Petroleum Explorationists (AAPG), Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society (NMGS) and currently, the General Secretary, Nigerian Association of Petroleum Exploratonists (NAPE) – Uyo/Calabar Chapter.
Dr. Harry is a multi-dimensional scholar and a Master Trainer in the oil and Gas sector. His former clients include NNPC R&D, PPRA, Nigerian Gas Company (NGC), PENGASSAN, EVERLINK etc
He is also an Associate Editor of NAPE Global Bulletin.
University of Calabar(1996)
University of Calabar(2003)
University of Calabar(2008)
• HOD, Department of Geology, AKSU
• Coordinator, Petroleum and Environmental Research Group, Department of Geology
• Head, Research and Development in Geology.
• Lecturer: Physical Geology, Petroleum Geology, Sequence Stratigraphy, Stratigraphy, Earth History, Paleontology/Micropaleontology, Sedimentology, Geochemistry, Geology software applications.
• Organize and Conduct field work for Students and staff
• Coordinator of Geosciences Workstation (Donated by ExxonMobil and Schlumberger)
• Strengthen the capacity of WASH institutions at State, LGA and community levels to plan and implement WASH programs in rural communities of self-selected LGAs
• Support physical verification of completed facilities to ensure that quality and construction is conformed to agreed designs and specifications before certification and payment to contractors.
• Support state RUWASSA to establish and operationalize federation of WASHcoms at LGA level and subsequently expand to the state level to ensure sustainable WASH services.
• Prepare periodic reports, develop work plans and guide LGA level consultants to harmonise plan for working in communities. The reporting also includes updating log frames and result matrix at the state level as well as other reports on specific issues.
• Facilitate the procurement of Works contracts for the construction of school water, sanitation and hand-washing facilities and the establishment of school environmental health clubs.
• Strengthen and monitor the use of WASH MIS system (WASHIMS) at both LGA and state level.
a. Carry out different surveys/assessments, analyses and program documentation for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Department. Successful studies include; WASH-IN-SCHOOL assessment in Nigeria, WASH challenges in Peri-urban areas, Technology options for Sanitation under challenging environments.
b. Collate, analyse and regularly update Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) data fo 36 states in Nigeria.
c. Manage the CLTS database in Nigeria.
d. Carry out analysis of the State monthly reports and prepare monthly report on status of CLTS implementation in the country.
e. Baseline and end line analysis and reporting of WASH programs
f. Project Evaluation of CLTS states
g. Conduct monitoring and verification visits to States to validate CLTS reports where necessary.
h. In consultation with NTGS, analyze the major challenges militating against implementation effective reporting of CLTS activities by the States. Based on the results of analysis, proffer recommendations for improvement of reporting of CLTS activities by the States.
i. Capacity building of Federal Ministry of Water Resources Staff on Database Management and Analysis using Excel, SPSS.
• Develop tools for Monitoring and evaluating Development
• Collation and statistical analysis of international intervention project data
• Organize and train local partners
• Database management
• Baseline and Endline Assessments
• Assists in the formation of partnerships at all levels for sustainable development.
• Work with partner communities to promote sustainable livelihood through the establishment and encouragement of viable micro credit/micro enterprise and other schemes.
• Designs programs to provide communities with alternative conflict resolution mechanisms.
• Design training to promote genuine and meaningful popular participation in politics and governance.
• Program numerous activities aimed at empowering women and strengthening their capacity to participate more fully in decision making at all levels.
• Involved in the designing and training programs for TBAs/VHWs in some communities.
• Assists in the designing and formation of “Speak Out Forums” which acts like a focal point for all CPD development intervention.
• Designing advocacy program for Adolescent Reproductive Health, family planning, STDs and HIV/AIDS.
• Carry out Mineral Exploration around the country for
• Provided technical expertise and leadership for process improvements Projects using a wide range of improvement tools including statistical process control (SPC) methods, Function deployment matrices (FDM), Failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA), Data sheets, Brainstorming etc.
• Train Team Leaders and Managers on Lean Six Sigma tools and Project Execution
• Lead the execution of cost saving Projects company-wide
• Member, ISO 9000 implementation team
• Trained Production team members on machine operations and
• Supervise work shifts during granite/marble tiles production.
• Collation and analysis of crude oil production data from
the Niger Delta states.
• Results of the research were used to establish a new derivation formula for the oil producing states.
• Demonstrator for Earth history, Systematic Paleontology,
• Assisted in the Final Year Project supervision in Petroleum Geology, Paleontology etc.
• Supervised Geological field works.
• Computer training (Computer appreciation, MS word, Power
• Data processing
• Designs and Publication.
• Lecturer: Petroleum Geology, Stratigraphy, Environmental
• Wrote and presented short courses on Petroleum Technology organized for Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)/IDSL workers.
Lecturer: Petroleum Geology, Stratigraphy, Environmental Sciences.
Dr. Harry has published extensively in in local and major international Journals across many subjects including Oil and Gas (Petroleum) Technology, Biostratigraphy, Environmental Geochemistry, Petroleum Basin Evaluation and ICT. Click here to Access them.
Oil and Gas Expert (Over 15 years training and research experience- Certified by Schlumberger, NAPE and AAPG). Carried out Gas Research and Training for NNPC Research & Development (R&D) Group, Nigerian Gas Company (NGC), and Petroleum Training Institute (PTI).
16 years University level teaching and Research (Petroleum Training Institute Effurun -2yrs, University of Calabar- 4 years, Akwa-Ibom State University – 10 years)
Director, Akwa Ibom State University Consult (2022)
Geology Software Expert/Master Trainer (Petrel –Schlumberger, Interactive Petrophysics, Stratabug etc).
3D seismic interpreter and GeoModeller ; Carry out Synthetic to Seismic tie, Log correlation, Sequence Stratigraphic analysis, Time and Depth maps, Petrophysical and Volumetric analysis..
Environmental Impact Assessment (E.I.A) Expert.
26 academic publications in International Journals on cross cutting subjects in Petroleum Geology, Geochemistry, Sequence Stratigraphy and Sedimentology, Micropaleontology, Regional Geology of Africa, Geology of Nigeria etc. (www.researchgate/thomasHarry).
Strong software skills; Proficient in Exploration and Production (E&P) software including Petrel, Interactive Petrophysics (IP).
20 years experience in Geology Mapping- Nsukka sheet, Akwa Ibom Geology, Calabar Flank, Obudu sheet etc.
15 years experience in Project management, M&E and Database management.
Exceptional leadership and communication skills
Successfully implemented several improvement projects in the Geoscience, Health, Educational and Development sectors
Exceptional writing and reporting skills
Served as Natural Consultant to the United Nations for 4 years in the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene sector (WASH SECTOR).
Carried out several improvement projects across the manufacturing (Stonecraft), Service industries (EKOCORP PLC) and Academia..
Department Of Geology, Akwa Ibom State University, Uyo, Akwa Ibom